China Babies Adoption Research

China Babies Adoption Research
China Babies Adoption Research

Friday, September 28, 2007

Family Blogs From China


Monday-Thursday....sorry for the delay

Thursday 9/27
Jason just posted pics....we have not had a minute to breathe since arriving on the island and I am now sick. The White Swan has a 24 hour clinic on the 3rd floor so I saw a doctor this morning and he prescribed me an antibiotic, antihistamine, nose spray, and cough syrup. I asked repeatedly for acupuncture and chinese medicine and he insisted that I needed an antibiotic and Western medicine....I thought that was very funny.

We just received word from our guide that the US consulate approved our paperwork.

As you can see from the pic of Hui Hui screaming in the street she is continues to be a handful. Our friend Kathy in Wuhan witnessed Hui Hui's poor behavior first hand and contacted the Wuhan orphanage on our behalf. We were concerned that maybe she had some additional mental health issues. To our relief she is not mentally ill but rather just has terribly bad behavior.

The orphanage confirmed that her foster family set no limits, boundaries or restrictions on her for 3.5 years!!!! AGH!!!!

Jason and I have thought we were going to lose our minds.
Hui Hui was also not sent to school or taught to speak other than to use yes or no responses to questions. Apparently, the orphanage staff also witnessed the extreme tantrums for nothing other than not getting her way....and oh is it exhausting!

We also know by the way she eats and her size she was pacified with food....again not really helpful for us. The one food she eats regularly which has been a surprise to us is milk (un-refriderated kind) and drinkable yogurt. She does ask for these by name when she wants them.

The White Swan hotel where we are staying is considered the adoption. Almost 400 rooms currently have adopting families occupying them. This was the 1st hotel is China to be rated 5 star but that was 25 years ago and it is now quite "worn". We were lead to believe it was really a great hotel....but I think that it is being compared to our hotel's in general because our hotel in Beijing and Wuhan were both nicer that this one.

However, I was excited to get my "adoption barbie doll". The White Swan has an arrangement with Mattel. Mattel creates a white Barbie with an asian baby just for the White Swan....every adopting family receives one.

The White Swan is closing for renovation....note for Laura Beth...they are now not closing until May 2008 to take advantage of one more Trade Fair. ...so you will probably stay here. Request at least a Junior Business suite or you will not all fit. The rooms with double beds have 2 single beds. The only reason we fit is that we requested 2 cribs and the girls are each sleeping in one. Well, to be perfectly honest....Hui Hui screams bloody murder for 1 hour until she passes out!

We wish we were coming home tomorrow but instead we are off to Chengdu to see the Pandas. I know this will be fun for Rou Rou.

We are so happy that Rou Rou found a friend at breakfast this morning. A little 5 year girl whose mom just adopted a baby. They live in Seattle WA. Rou Rou is in their room watching Barbie Princess movies and playing. We are so happy for her because this experience has really taken its toll on her.

Working backwards in my days....yesterday we had the "official medical appointment" The doctor was very sweet and really took to Rou Rou as you can see. Jason took pics of the 1950 like facility. We found the reflector on one of the doctors heads to be quite funny. Hui Hui was not as amused.

When we were at the medical with Rou Rou we felt like they were going to take her from us because of her medical condition but with Hui Hui they acted as if it was no big deal. The doctor did mention that he thought her ears had never been cleaned out and that it would need to be medically done in the states.


I took Rou Rou shopping while jason tried to tame the wild girl in our room. On a recommendation from Maria (hi Begeman family) I went to a store called Susans to get a jacket made...instead I ended having a dress made. I had brought one from the states (it was one I wore at my aufruf) and I wanted it in Chinese silk. As I mentioned to Jason if it turns out nice it will be the best $48 I ever spent and if not I then I wasted $48.

...a note to Maria...Susan loved the pictures and she says HI! She gave me her email for you. Jennifers only had the shoes in red but I am supposed to check back this evening.


I bought Hui Hui Chinese dresses in every size and Rou Rou picked out a very pretty purple one with butterflies. Rou Rou also really enjoyed dancing with Jennifers sister's daughter in the store while I shopped.


Last night we went on a river cruise ....very cheesy but Rou Rou really enjoyed the buildings all lit up along the river. The group from Harrah's out of Portland OR was with us in Wuhan and here in Guangzhou. Their tour guide is very good and very sweet....she invited us to join the group.

She also invited us to join the group Tuesday evening for Thai food. So we celebrated the Chinese Moon Holiday at a Thai restaurant in Guangzhou.

The food was again really good but nothing like Thai.

Ah....as I reflect....who could forget the flight from "h-ll". Yep....you heard me. Hui Hui does not like to sit down and she does not like to be buckled.
There are no seat belt or car seat laws here so children sit in the front seat and walk along the back seat of cars, buses, taxis etc. Hui Hui threw herself into a major fit and the flight attendants had to come help. We flew the oldest plane I have ever been on...the arm rests were broken and lying on the floor and the dirt, food, crud, germs were everywhere (Shezhen Air) but the attendants were the best I have ever experienced. I am sure this contributed to my illness....along with the 120 degree weather here in Guangzhou. My hair is so curly and frizzy and out of control that Rou Rou and Jason didn't even recognize me.

Our last day in Wuhan was bitter sweet. We needed to say goodbye to Kathy again.

Her and her son brought us dinner and brought Rou Rou the transformer dinosaur toy she liked so much. Kathy told us the next time we come to Wuhan she will have us to her home because she knows we will be friends forever. It was very sweet.

She also was able to get the Orphanage to release an unofficial medical report on Hui Hui. We received the fax today at the hotel. If I have not mentioned this before ...nothing in China is impossible but they may tell you "no" until they tell you "yes".

Jason ran out to the Carfour to buy another suitcase. We needed to do this when we adopted Rou Rou ....so I prepared for it and brought an extra suitcase but this one is with David in Beijing with all the books I purchased. We don't really have more things...but what we have has seemed to expand.

Guangzhou is the place for all the shopping for Chinese dresses....and other "typical" Chinese fare. While Jason and Hui Hui slept Rou Rou and I unched and shopped. She has really wanted a Calabash. A musical flute specifically made by and for one of the hundreds of minority groups in China. I can't recall which group at the moment.

Rou Rou has been asking for a flute since she heard a man in the street playing one the other night. They were surprised that Rou Rou had enough hot air to blow it.

Tonight we are having dinner with our agency representative in China this evening.

More later....

We are unsure of what our internet facilities will be in Chengdu and Xian....if you do not hear from us please assume we are ok, tired, and might not have internet.

Hugs- Shelli
Red Thread Story

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: