China Babies Adoption Research

China Babies Adoption Research
China Babies Adoption Research

Friday, September 21, 2007

Day 20 in Xi'an

Alex's Notes: Cool blog entry, lots of pictures at original entry, link is at the bottom.

------------
Day 20

I spent all day at Starfish today, the time just zooms by. I took care of Lily all day, and when I left tonight at 4:30 she cried. It’s so hard to leave her.

Christine and I took Lily, Callum and Michael (I had a double stroller) for a long walk to Starbucks this afternoon. It was very hot 30 minute walk there and longer coming back, as Lily was a little fussy and I had to carry her and push the stroller. The Chinese people REALLY stare when we are out with the kids. Of course there is the one child policy, and here I am with two. We are never sure if they stare because we are Caucasian and the children are Chinese, or that they are not wrapped up in heavy clothes that the Chinese seem to do. One man even stopped and started berating us in Chinese... we just continued on our way. Lily had her first taste of Starbucks Vanilla Crème. She votes yes for Starbucks! (See picture). I’m going to have trouble saying goodbye to her tomorrow. I think I’ll stay all day. I really only have a bit of packing to do and I don’t leave for the airport until 11:00 am on Saturday. Amanda has asked me to come back anytime and stay in her volunteer apartment. She showed (and emailed) me pictures of Lily when she first arrived at Starfish and before she had her surgery. She had a large sac on the bottom of her back. She still looked perfect to me.

The Chinese language is very difficult and I find at times when spoken it sounds so angry even when it isn’t. The kids are all great, but sometimes it’s bedlam there. I often wonder how it must be when there are no volunteers there. The conditions at Starfish are a whole lot better than other orphanages. Amanda is going to the main Xi’an Orphanage tomorrow, and she’s asked Christine to go with her. There are 600 children there and according to Amanda, 10% will die in the next month. They don’t have enough help and the weak ones just don’t make it.

Coming home from Starfish today was very emotional. I’m very attached to China now, and if not for my family, especially my daughter, (Alex, I want to bring you here!) and friends I could just stay here. It’s so far removed from my life at home and I find that I am at peace here. I definitely want to come back for a longer period of time. It’s like time has stopped for me and all the little sh*t doesn’t matter anymore. I’ve seen so much suffering and poverty as well as kindness, acceptance, happiness and appreciation. The people here are special, and they work hard, their work ethic is unbelievable. The nannies at Starfish work from 8 am to 8 pm and that is just the norm.

Another Chinese factoid.. They exercise on the street outside their place of work before their workday starts. We see them on our drive over to Starfish. No wonder there are no fat people here!

Donna's Space

No comments: